Imagine selling a product without having to worry about shipping the product yourself. What if you could find a way to sell a product first, before purchasing it, thus minimizing the risk involved by purchasing too much or too little? That’s what I like to call “Dropshipping“.
Imagine you didn’t have to invest large amounts of money on purchasing inventory?
I initially thought it sounds too good to be true, but I’ve done my research over the past few months and I must say I was just as surprised as you probably are right now.
I used to think there should be some catch, but nope. It’s the real deal and it’s a great monetization strategy for your blog if you have no products yet. This is great if you want to monetize without having to invest large amounts of money in something that could potentially fail.
How does Dropshipping work?
It is when you sell a third party’s products on your store with your own profit margin without having to ship and package the product yourself.
Let’s say you have a blog about fashion and you are interested in selling own merchandise. You decide to try dropshipping because it involves less risk and you don’t have a big budget just yet.
Your foucs is T-shirts.
The first thing you’ll have to do is to find wholesalers who offer dropshipping. In this case, you could go with a company such as Printful. They offer various dropshipping services including the dropshipping of T-shirts.
You would then have to sign up to Printful’s dropshipping program. Once you have signed up you’ll have to do a few things before you can get started with selling.
- Choose the type of shirt you want to sell
- Design the logo or graphic you want to print on the shirt . Printful offers this option of printing a logo or graphic you designed on your shirt for you.
- Create your eCommerce store and choose your platform (wooCommerce or Shopify, for example.)
- Sync your designs and products with Prinftul. When an order is placed on your store, it automatically gets sent to Printful.
These are just a few things you’ll have to do to get you dropshipping business started.
Dropshipping is simply when you sell products on your store through a wholesaler or dropshipping services company.
After a customer places an order on your store, you either manually place the order with the wholesaler or when making use of Printful, it gets placed automatically. The product then gets made, packaged and shipped to your client.
Now it does sound easy but there are some complexities involved in the process. Dropshipping is great and you can make it work or it can fail completely.
That is why I believe you should be aware of the advantages and disadvantages of dropshipping:
- It’s relatively easy to get started as you don’t have to spend a lot of money on buying inventory upfront
- There is no need to worry about shipping the product yourself. You should just make sure your client gets his/her product, following up is still necessary.
- You can sell literally anything when it comes to dropshipping. Especially when you use a website such as Aliexpress, which offers a wide variety of products.
- You can add your own profit margin to the product you sell.
- The products are not yours and you can’t see the quality of each product that gets shipped. You run the risk of selling products that are of low quality.
- Sometimes it’s difficult to make large amounts of profit due to high shipping costs. Adding your profit margin might make the product seem too expensive.
- Sometimes the wrong products could get shipped and a customer might blame you in cases where the suppliers are at fault. Most customers won’t know that because they purchased through your store.
- To really earn a good income from dropshipping you’ll have to sell quite a few products or increase your profit margin. This can lead to the product perhaps becoming too expensive as stated earlier.
Dropshipping is something I believe everyone with a blog should check out. There are various dropshipping services that exist and a popular website that most people use is Aliexpress.
I would suggest you do some research first before choosing Aliexpress because there might be better wholesalers with perhaps better-quality products.
If you do find wholesalers you would consider using but they don’t offer dropshipping on their website, contact them and find out if they would implement a strategy like dropshipping.
You never know, they might give it a shot, I mean they are going to profit from it anyway so it’s a win-win.
I would also advise that you always order a sample of the product you wish to sell before making your final decision. This way you can inspect and test the product. Make sure to check if the product of the quality you or not, and if the customer would like it.
If you want to find out more about dropshipping check out this in-depth guide: What is Dropshipping?